Popular Posts

Monday, May 9, 2011

Love in the Home

Unfortunately, we began hearing on the news today about Casey Anthony and her anticipated trial. As I watched her in the courtroom with no emotion, I couldn't help but think of my own children. How precious they are, and what an honor it is that God chose me to raise them. I couldn't imagine a mother harming her own child...I can't even imagine harming ANY human, much less your own child. Thoughts of home, family, and love flooded my mind today as I walked around and interacted with the boys. These are my thoughts:

If I live in a spotless house with everything in its place, but there is no love, I am a housekeeper - - not a homemaker.

If I have time for sweeping, dusting, and organizing, but have no time to play on the floor with my kids, my children learn cleanliness, but not Godliness.

If I make time for Facebook, but don't pray with my children, I allow technology to set their priorities.

If I laugh at tv shows, but don't listen and laugh at their knock-knock jokes, I am disconnected - - not a self-esteem builder.

If I tuck them in at night, I am fulfilling my duty, but if I slide a post-it note under their pillow as they sleep reminding them how special they are, I become a part of forming the next generation of strong leaders.

I I make lunches, I'm a mom, but if I let them help (no matter how much of a mess we make), I am teaching independence.

If I buy them everything they want, I am pretty cool to them, but if I make them save their money until they can buy it, I am teaching responsibility.

Love smiles at fingerprints on the freshly cleaned door, even though your flesh wants to scream, "I JUST WASHED THAT!!!"

Love wipes the tears BEFORE it wipes up the spilled cereal. Love picks up the child BEFORE it picks up the toys.

Love make them brush their teeth. Love asks them how can I pray for them. Love puts the bike ride BEFORE the laundry. Love watches Full House before Nancy Grace.Love has boundaries and expects the best. Love is a teacher. In love, I should not require anything of my children that I am not willing to do. I can't say pray, if I'm not. I can't say eat right, if I'm not. I can't say, respect your father, if I'm not. I can't say love, if I'm not.

Love also (against wordly views) reprimands and expects respect and manners. Before children, I took pride in perfect order. As a mother, there is much I must teach my children, but the greatest of all is LOVE.

Dear God,
Thank you for my children. Thank you for my husband and family. Thank you for the example you set for us, to love above all. Thank you that everything is not perfect all the time...that would be boring!! I am so honored to serve you and take great pride in raises your children. I feel blessed and honored, and take very serioud the job you have given me to teach Dylan and Cody how to be world changers and history makers. Thank you for staying close to me, so I will know what to do and say when my flesh wants to yell and scream. Please hold their hand as they grow older, so that they never turn from Your path.

Amen

1 comment:

  1. SO awesome Cristi! It really hit the spot with me. I NEEDED to hear/read that tonight. Thank you so much! <3

    ReplyDelete