Popular Posts

Monday, March 4, 2013

It's NOT the thought that counts

Did you catch the title? Doesn't that go against every teaching we've ever had? This morning in my quiet time and study, I came across an interesting concept. So many times we let ourselves off the hook because "our heart was in the right place", "we meant well", or we have the "it was the thought that counts" mindset. 

God revealed to me this morning, that the concept is backwards. Has Jesus ever whispered to you, "Well, I THOUGHT about waking you up this morning, but then I got busy." Wouldn't that be bad?? We have to keep our eyes wide open for God moments. Sometimes, they may be obvious like helping a needy family, spending time with God, praying with our family. Sometimes they may be less obvious like picking up a piece of trash as you walk by it, leaving an unexpected note on your spouse's pillow, surprising your kids at school for lunch. Stop for a moment and think of how much time you spend on things that DON'T MATTER. It is true that in life a percentage of our time will be those things. However, it should not be the focus. Imagine this, in the mornings if it takes you 15 minutes to fix your hair, 15 minutes to put on makeup, and 30 minutes to watch GMA while you drink your coffee. You have already spent an hour on things that will not make an eternal difference. Now, I am not saying go to work without brushing your hair, but my point is to take a look at your life. 

We can't tell our God, our husbands, our kids, our families after we are gone "oh, I meant to get to that ballgame" or "oh I really thought about calling you" or "sorry I couldn't make it, but I was thinking of you guys". Get off the couch, get rid of unnecessary priorities, and get in your life an alignment. It's not the thought that counts, it's your actions that count.

Dear God,
Please help me slow down today and focus on what's important. I can get so caught up in life that I miss opportunities to make a difference. Help me to keep my word and not make idle promises. You are the only one that knows my heart, so my family and friends don't realize that I had good intentions. Intentions don't matter, it's the actions that count. Change me heart, change my mind, and change my schedule.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment